Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Rodeo time

It's no secret to anyone that knows us, we enjoy going to the rodeo and Carter LOVES it!  A few weeks ago we had the chance to go to a Jr. Rodeo just a few miles away from our house. There were little cowboys all around!!
IMG_4949
Carter was excited to ride a sheep, they call it mutton bustin'.  Travis walked him up on the platform for him to sign up. I was standing a few feet away when I hear the lady say, "we don't have sheep tonight, just baby calfs." My ears perked up, I took a few steps forward, Travis looked back at me and said, "sign him up!" Oh.my.stars!  He just signed my baby up to get on the back of a 120 pound calf, is he insane?! Obviously, right!!
IMG_5005
As they came down to where I was, I asked him if he'd lost his mind. He assured me that Carter would be just fine. I won't lie, my heart was pounding, I was nervous, but hearing him talk about it and see how excited he was a part of me couldn't wait to watch him! We had to wait for a little bit before he could ride. We watched the bull riding, some shoot doggin', and then it was time for the mutton bustin'!!!  You'd think I would be standing there biting my nails, butterflies in my stomach, but I wasn't. I was smiling from ear to ear. He climbed up on top of that calf, and within seconds he was out the gate!
IMG_5012
Within those same seconds of coming out the gate, he was on the ground. His little face covered in red dirt, and a few tears trickling down his face.
IMG_5044
Travis was right there, and I could tell he was fine. I think his spirit was broken more then anything. He made his way to me, and I asked if he was okay. His response, "I've got dirt in my eyes!" I just chuckled, poor kid didn't know what to think or expect.  It wasn't but just a few minutes when he blurted out, "I WANT TO RIDE AGAIN!"
IMG_5047
I looked to Travis and told him he had started something that I wasn't sure would end anytime soon. Our little fellow was as happy as a kid in a candy store. He walked proudly with his black hat, and shuffled his feet through the dirt as if he was a true American cowboy.
IMG_5050
IMG_5049
To say that Carter is a joy is a complete and utter understatement. He is the light to a gloomy day, the song you need at the lowest point, the warm touch to remind you it's all okay. I am so proud of the Cowboy that he is. I pray that he continues to become the loving, full of life, positive outlook person that he is. As for muttin' bustin', he's not finished. He's ready to go again. Just as soon as he gets the opportunity, he'll be back at it!
IMG_5052
Our local county fair is in town, and the rodeo is coming up this weekend. He can't wait to chase the calf and pull the flag from its tail. I have myself a natural little cowboy!! And I love every minute of it and wouldn't trade it for anything.
IMG_4939

1 comment:

Sarah said...

All the pics are great! The last 2 stole my heart. He's a precious boy!