Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The time has come

On April 19, we made our way to the local school where Carter will attend kindergarten in the fall. As we pulled in the parking lot he was so excited to get a sneak peek at his new school. I on the other hand a bit more anxious.  We pass by the school everyday heading to his preschool and he asks, "momma, is that where I will go to school soon?"  I assure him that he will and he talks about all the fun he will have when he gets there. It warms my heart, but breaks it at the same time.

As we walked up the ramp to the main entrance, he opened the door. I was still trying to push the stroller through, when I hear, "Hey Carter!" I was thinking, oh stars... they already know him, that can't be a good sign!  I shall not tell a lie. I have myself a very active little boy. He's typical, he doesn't like to sit still too long. He likes to run, jump, make loud noises, but what little boy doesn't?  I couldn't think of anyone that would be at the school that should know him. As I made it further in the door, I saw that it was Travis' cousin Jennifer who is a kindergarten teacher.  I was so relieved to see that it was her! :)  She will not be teaching K5 next year, she will be a guidance counselor.

I made my way to the registration table, and Carter was in awe of all the cool stuff in the room. His friend Cody was there also signing up for the fall classes.  As I sat there filling out all the paper work I made comment that I felt like I was signing him up for boot camp or something!  Paper after paper, name after name. I was signing him up in a way, for the next 13 years of his life.  Poor kid, he has no clue what he's in for! :)

As we left they gave him a goodie bag filled with school supplies to start the year off.  He was so excited, and then extremely bummed to find out that he would not be going to that school the next day. He still asks me every morning if that's where he is going to school that day and I reply, each morning, no son not today.  It makes me excited to see him start this next chapter, but it also makes the reality of him not being a little guy anymore. I love having him home with us, I love hearing his giggle down the hall, and now knowing that kindergarten starts in just 103 days, my heart longs to make him a baby again. Don't tell me how outrageously ridiculous I am, I know.  I just can't believe that he is signed up for kindergarten and there's no slowing him down.

As these 103 days pass by, you are all sure to hear me complain, grumble, and cry about him going to kindergarten. I keep teasing that I may need meds to get through this!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm totally in your boat with Harrison starting preschool VERY soon. I feel like I'm never going to get him back! Friends with older kids have told me that the years fly even faster when they get in school...I don't think they can fly any faster!