Thursday, October 9, 2008

I have a smurf!

Today was an average Thursday. Nothing to out of the ordinary happening for this little family. I had lunch with my friends, Traci & Renee, and then back home to work on a few pictures until it was time to get Carter from preschool.

I set off to get him around 4:30. After picking him up I was going to head to the new house to have him put his little hand prints into the wet cement. I was contemplating how to do this without us both getting wet cement on us. As I picked him up from school, I noticed that his hands were already a little dirty. I asked him what happened and he replied with, "I colored them for you!" It looked as if someone, or maybe even himself, tried to trace his hand. There was this lovely teal blue color all over both his hands. I told him I had something special for him to do at the new house and his hand would get more dirty. He was thrilled! :)

Once we arrived at the new house, we were informed that the cement was almost to dry to do his hand prints. We finally got his little markings to stick on the front step of the house. I couldn't help but think back to when I was a kid and my brother & I did the same thing and we thought it was so neat. I remember trying to erase my name because I either messed up or didn't like it. Luckily, this time, the cement guy was still there to wipe away any imprints we didn't care for. Carter thought it was the neatest thing to stick his hands in the cement. Once it dries, and he grows I can't help but wonder how many times he'll compare the size of his little hand to how big it becomes. I did that several times as a child.

We aren't even in the house yet, and already it is giving me wonderful memories. Luckily this one will forever be etched in the front step of my home. No one can say, I didn't allow him to get dirty... he played in cement after all and it will be a day I'll always remember!

~jen~

No comments: