Monday, October 6, 2008

It's that time of year again!

Once a year, I become a widow to the sport of hunting. It starts in October runs through early January. I'm not complaining, it gives me an excuse to do some great shopping. It's always been something that Travis enjoys, and therefore what ground do I have to stand on to not let him go? Before we had Carter, it didn't bother me one bit in the world that he would leave in the mornings at 6:30, and not return home until 7:30 that night. I mean what girl doesn't enjoy a little down time with a Lifetime movie? Well, things change. Now with Carter, by 5:30 in the evenings I'm getting real close to calling it a day and ready to pass on my 'parenting duties' of the evening. It's hard to explain to a three year old where Daddy is. Don't dare say, "he's hunting", because then it just goes into a big fiasco of "I want to hunt with my Daddy!"

As I awaited Carter's arrival three years ago, I thought that hunting season about how it wouldn't be long before Travis would have one of the greatest hunting buddies of his life to tag along. Our little boy has grown to adore his father. Walks like him, has his love of the outdoors, and creatures. As Travis talks about hunting, or watches a hunting show, Carter is right there by his side either hanging on his every word or watching intently to the show. I watch and imagine what his little mind is thinking about or... planning! :) Last Saturday, they started working their stands. Getting feed plots disked up and ready for feed and fertilizer. Making sure each corn feeder was working and there weren't any kinks. I took Carter out to the woods around 11 a.m. and he was so excited about going to "help" Daddy get ready for hunting season. When we got there, he jumped out ready to go. He was going to get the big one. Unfortunately the two of us were sent back to the truck to make a lunch run.

After returning with lunch for all the guys, Carter sat in the back of my truck talking about how he was going to shoot a deer. How do you not smile, knowing that your child looks up to you so much. When I say he adores his Daddy, that's a bit of an understatement. The highlight of his afternoon was when he got to ride in the back of the trailer with Uncle Eric. Man, oh man was he ever "one of the guys!" To be only three, you'd think he was eight. Talks like he knows exactly what the "big" guys would say. I almost forgot. He had his fishing pole with him the entire time. While the guys were putting up the last feeder he was steady casting his line out into the feed plot. Granted, he was fishing and they were preparing to hunt, he didn't care one bit because he was a BIG boy.



Today, Travis was seeding the feed plots and we once again supplied the lunch. Time we turned off into the woods he said, "Momma, roll down the windows. I have to look for deer!" As we made our way to the back of the property he was informing me that I needed to be quiet and turn the radio down. I wonder how he'll be when he is actually hunting?!

After we returned home, Travis finally made it in for the evening and started putting together one of the tree stands. Carter was right in the middle of it, helping every way he knew possible. He wanted nothing more than to be right there with his Daddy. As soon as Travis got the four sides up, Carter was right in the middle saying, "Pow, pow! I shoot that deer momma!" Of course, I grabbed the camera and start snapping shots. His first year to actually go out to the woods with his Daddy. As I watched the two of the interact with one another, I once again counted my blessings and thanked God for these wonderful blessings in my life. I'm sure one day when Carter is preparing for hunting season that he'll have a little one under his feet asking a million and one questions and I'll think back to today, and remember!

Now go on out there boys and get the big one!

~jen~

No comments: