Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Happy 4th Birthday Carter!!

Today is the day that my life was changed forever!!  Unbelievably four years ago today, I welcomed my first precious child into this world!  I remember the night before being so anxious to finally meet him, to smell him, to touch him, to care for him, and to love him endlessly.  I walked around the house making sure everything was in perfect order.  Every diaper placed perfectly, the blankets and clothes folded ever so perfectly. Clothes hung neatly in the closet, and the glider awaiting the first of countless glides.  The waiting would soon be over, and we would be welcoming home our sweet boy.




This picture is perfect of him!  

4:30 a.m. on that warm summer morning, I woke up, showered and soon there after the phone rang.  It was the hospital telling me they were not ready for me to come, they did not have any rooms available.  The nurse said to call back at 8:30.  Just my luck!  So, as expected, I could not go back to sleep.  I paced, and once again checked everything.  I finally asked Travis if he would like to go for breakfast, I didn't have to beg him!  We went to a small little restaurant in Callahan called Ann's Diner.  Travis had breakfast as I watched and sipped a Sprite.  No food for me since I was to be induced.  

8:30, I called the hospital.  Yet again, no room.  They informed me to call back at noon.  So, we rode around for a bit waiting.  If any of you know me personally, you know.... me waiting is not a good thing.  We arrived back home and decided that we both should probably try to take a nap since it would probably be a long night.  I had not laid down for ten minutes when the phone rang.  It was the hospital, the room was ready.  The nurse asked, "Mrs. Higginbotham, are you ready to have your baby?"  My response to her was something like, umm... yeah, sure! She told us to head on in, and they would get things going.  I made the necessary phone calls to inform our family, and we were off.  The next time we walked back in this house we would be a family of three, no longer just Travis & Jen.

Oops, he fell out of his chair!  Luckily Aunt J & Brooks were there to save him!

As we started on the interstate, I noticed a car passing us that looked familiar.  I asked Travis, isn't that your mom?  Sure enough, she was passing us!!!  Travis called her and told her to take her time, she was ahead of us.  It was quite funny.  On the ride to the hospital I was so excited, scared, nervous, and everything else you can think of.  When we pulled into the hospital the butterflies, or maybe the were wasps and hornets, started in my stomach.  I remember our walk to the Labor and Delivery floor was a quiet one.  

12:30 p.m. we rang the bell, and they opened the doors for us.  We walked down the hallway as I came closer and closer to the nurses station I could feel the huge knot in my throat.  The nurses greeted us and told us to find our way to suite six.  We entered that room, and it was then I realized this was the real thing.  Today would be the day I met my son.  My nurse was Carrie, and she was amazing.  She was compassionate, friendly, understanding, and most importantly I could tell she enjoyed her job.  She gave me my ever fashionable hospital gown (which by the way I was dreading putting on.... they weird me out).  Once I was dressed the part, she told me she would start my i.v..  I had never had an i.v. and begged her to please be gentle with me, she was.  She got me on the first stick.  After the i.v. she checked me and asked if I was feeling any pain.  I answered with no, and she looked at me surprised and informed me I was having contractions every two minutes.  I was shocked!!  She also informed that I was 4.4.5 centimeters dilated.  Much to our surprise, we thought I would be dragging out the process! :) Regardless of my progress, they decided to go ahead and start the lovely pitocin drip until Dr. Laubscher arrived.  Pitocin worked, it did it's job and I am not a fan of it, but hey if it works let's do it!

He loves his new monster truck!!!

Dr. L arrived and said to stop the pitocin and let me labor on my own.  Around 3:30, she broke my water and at that point I was 5.5-6 cm and then begged for an epidural.  I don't recall much after that point, except for clenching Travis' hands with every ounce of my being and telling him how deathly afraid I was.  He said I cried, but I don't remember.

During all of this, my room was filled with family and friends.  Both of my parents, Travis' parents, our siblings, friends, co-workers, you name it they were there.  Our cell phones constantly ringing to check progress from those unable to be there at the moment.  The nurses laughed because they said each time the bell chimed that they figured it was someone for my room!  At one time I remember counting 13 people in the room with us.  Some were reading the paper, others were watching t.v., our moms were chatting nervously, and I just laid up there like a beached whale loving my epidural!!  

A new thermos just like Dad!

7:00, shift change.  My sweet nurse Carrie would have to go home to her own children.  She came in to wish me well and said, "if I knew you would deliver in the next 2-3 hours I would stay, but I have to get my children."  There's something about having a good nurse that in my opinion makes your experience a better time.  I was sad to see her go, but little did I know that things were fixing to pick up!

8:45, I was starting that uncontrollable shake.  If you are a mother, you know what shake I'm talking about.  The nurse checked me and those words she said scared me more then I've ever been scared before.  "You're 10!  It's time to have this baby!"  I was immediately brought to tears.  I looked to the right of my bedside, into Travis' eyes and said, "I don't want to be a momma, I don't have any idea of what to do!!!"  My sweet, loving, comical husband replied with a short and sweet, "too late for that now!"  Once again I remember clenching his hand on my right side.  My mother to my left.  The nurse and the doctor assured me that I could do this.  I was thinking, yeah right... you don't know me, I'm a big wimp!  My sister Jessica, and Travis' sister Amanda were in the room as well.  The moment of Carter entering the world was drawing closer and closer with each contraction.  I was exhausted, I begged for them to help me (knowing that it was all up to me), I wanted so badly to just be done.  

Every little boy needs a semi with a cow hauler!

Thirty three minutes after being told it was time... it was time. 9:18 p.m. It was time for me to be a mother, it was time for me to finally meet this little one that I had carried and nurtured for the past nine months.  He was perfect!  He weighed 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 inches long.  He had a head full of black hair and the cutest little cheeks I had ever seen.  He was my baby, he was my purpose, he was my heart.  My heart flooding with joy, my eyes filled with tears, I knew that God had given me the most precious gift in the world.  I was ecstatic, I had done it.  I had birthed my first child.  I was so proud to be a mother.  I looked to Travis as he watched Carter lying in the warmer and knew that our purpose was this sweet child.  My love for Travis, stronger because of this little tiny person that we created.  

Our family and friends all came in to greet our new little one.  Blessed to have my grandparents there, my 80 year old grandfather had been at the hospital for hours waiting for the arrival.  He informed my granny he wasn't going anywhere until that baby that was to be named after him was here.  Watching the two of them hold him blessed my heart.  They are such special people in my life and Carter has brought them so much joy in the past four years.  Our guests made there way home after Carter went to the nursery.  Travis and I were in awe.  We were more in love then we ever imagined we would be, and all the fears and unknown that we (I) had worried about, really didn't matter.  My sweet baby was everything I wanted.  Perfect in every way.  

Four years have flown past me.  I can relive the day I just told you about over and over.  It is etched in my memory forever.  They say a mother forgets the pains of labor, they are overcome by love.  You don't forget it all, but to endure that pain for such a great reward in my opinion is totally worth it.  

I've had four years of sheer bliss.  Sure, there have been rough days but what would life be without them?  What would life be without my child?  It sure wouldn't be as special as it is with him.  I love his imagination, his personality, his laugh, his eyes that have a sparkle to them constantly.  I love the way he mimics each and everything Travis does.  The way he wants to be just like his Dad.  I love to watch him sleep, and hear him sing.  The way he interacts with Tucker, climbing in the crib with him in the mornings and saying "morning fat boy!"  I love the conversations he comes up with, the endless questions that he can rattle off.  I love that he yells from another room, "Mom.......... I love you!"  The way his tiny little hand feels so warm and cozy in mine.  I love the smell of his room, the nights he asks me to rock him to sleep.  I love when he needs me.  Believe it or not, I even love that his handprints line my walls.  His muddy feet and hands leave my bathrooms a mess, but they are his.  I love to see him cuddle with his night night, and the way he shares them with his brother.  I love to hear his giggle, it's so contagious and warms my heart each and every time.  I love the way he is compassionate towards others (well, most of the time).  I love that he is yes ma'am, no ma'am kind of kid. I love the way he wants to be so independent.  I love when he reaches for me when he is sad or scared.  I love that he needs me to be his mom, his friend, his pal, his momma elephant.  I love him.

The little boy that blesses our hearts every day!

I could go on forever about the things I love about Carter.  Any mother could talk about the love they have for their child.  I sit here in awe of my life, my child.  A pure blessing he has been, and is yet to be to our lives.  I am so blessed to have been a part of the last four years of his life. I look forward to the many that lie ahead.  My baby, my toddler, now my little boy. Thank you Lord for this precious child!

Carter bug,
You are my sunshine.  You light up our lives, you keep me going.  I thank you for being such a joy, a reminder of how precious life is and how we should enjoy every day that God blesses us with.  You always remind me that, "this is a day that the Lord hath made."  You are amazing in every way.  I hope that your birthday is one that you'll always remember.  As you have said for the past few weeks now, you are a big boy!  That's hard for me to admit and yes it makes me cry, but you are no longer my little baby.  I pray God's many blessings on  you.  I pray that you will continue to be healthy, happy, and just the way you are.  May you find peace and happiness, and may God always be the center of your life.  Your momma loves you more then you will ever know.  Happy Birthday my sweet boy!
love always
momma
xoxo

2 comments:

Adiba Nelson, Author/Blogger/Mom said...

Visiting from SITS! WELCOME!!! COME JOIN IN THE FUN!

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY CARTER!

ItsKelly said...

I have to admit, I had to skim over some of your post because I started to cry! You have such a beautiful family. Looked like an awesome 4th birthday party!