Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Here fishy, fishy, fishy....

My mom gave Carter money for his birthday.  He has been wanting a fish, so while at Wal-Mart the other day we bought three little fish for our home.  We bought a new tank, plants, rocks, the works.  We had everything we needed to set up his very first fish tank.  

The guy in the pet department told me to treat the water first, and put the fish in 24 hours later. When we got home, we put everything together, treated the water and I put the three little gold fish in a bowl in the laundry room bath, and shut the door.  I figured they would be safe there, away from the cats.

On Saturday, I had a wedding to shoot so I left the boys with Travis.  I told Carter he could put his fish in the tank while I was gone.  When I came home, I checked the tank and there was only one fish in the tank.  Curious, I went on a hunt for Carter.  I found Travis first and asked why there was only one fish in the tank.  He informed me that Carter thought he could 'play' with them and pet them, so he came to Travis with the fish in his hand and said, "Dad, I think my fish died!"  Travis did what most men would do, he... flushed them.  Yep, sure did.  I asked Carter what happened to his fish.  He said, "They died, and daddy flushed down the potty!"

So, here today, we have one fish swimming in the tank.   He swims crooked, and his tail is in the air almost every time I go in there, but he's still breathing.  Not sure what's going on with him. I forget who I told about this and their response was, "you get what you pay for!"  I only paid $0.38 for each fish, knowing that their lives might not be long lived in our home considering our last fish was knocked off the counter by the cats (we found him in the living room!).  I was informed I should have bought more expensive fish and they would have lasted longer then 24 hours!!!  Not so sure that would be the case.  My lesson learned is this, if you buy fish, keep them away from not only your cats but your four year old!!!!!  You can not pet fish, you can only watch them.  Maybe I should press that issue a bit more next time!  

7 comments:

Mommy Bear said...

The expensive fish would have died just as quickly. That is cute that he wanted to pet the fishy.

Kari said...

ok...hilarious!

Sera said...

That's too funny. :) I'm stopping by from SITS - Happy Saturday SITS Sharefest! Hope you have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

That is pretty funny yet sad. My family had a very bad track record with fish. The only fish that stayed alive for almost 6 months was one that ate the rest of the fish and we ended up flushing him down the toilet as we couldn't get any other fish with him there. Kind of Ironic.

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

P.S. If you're interested, I am having a giveaway for my favourite cookbook: http://withoutadornment.wordpress.com/2009/08/21/cookbooks-and-my-first-giveaway/

Unknown said...

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Your son's hilarious, with his very infectious smile! :D

COUNTRY MOM said...

Thank You for joining my blog. I have joined yours as well. I really have enjoyed reading it. You have a beautiful family. Blessings,

Kat said...

Hi, Jennifer.

My kids kept getting fish at the fair and carnivals and the next day they'd be dead. Two years ago after one such incident, my husband took our forlorn 5 year old to Walmart and bought him another fish and we waited for it to die. That single fish is still alive today! Go figure.