Thursday, April 8, 2010

Clay County Fair 2010

I don't think I'll ever get to an age that I don't enjoy going to the fair. I just love it. I love the atmosphere, I love the smell of the yummy foods, the memories of when I was a child, and seeing the excitement on Carter's face as we walk to the main gate. I don't think it will ever get old to me to hear him talk about what he wants to ride first, or how awesome each ride is. I enjoy it as much today as I did 25 years ago!
BLOG
Going to the fair was something we did every year while we were on Spring Break. Mom would pack us up around 9:00 in the morning and she would spend the entire day at the fair with us. As a mother now, I know that spending that many hours on a midway can drive a person insane but mom never complained! We always ended up looking like little crabs and lobsters at the end of the day. It was kind of like the mark,  for the outdoor adventures of Spring and Summer to begin. Each year, we'd finish the fair by going through the exhibit halls, then through the barn, and then enjoying whatever treat we chose on our way out. I remember leaving and looking back through the car window thinking how pretty the lights were. The ferris wheel always seemed so huge, and it still makes me smile thinking about how much fun I had riding that giant wheel with my mom, brother, and sister.
BLOG
Traditions truly do carry on, don't they? I think Carter loves the fair just as much as I do. He's like a kid waiting on Christmas morning when we tell him the fair is in town. He's waiting on go! We parked the car and it was all he had to wait patiently for us to get the stroller and all the other stuff I would need. He reminds me of a race horse waiting for the gate to open so he can race to the finish line!!
BLOG
Once in the gates, we made a stop at the pony rides. Travis knows the owner of Diamond D Ranch, and they graciously allowed our little guy a free ride. We made a quick run through of the barns, and then we were headed to the midway. I made Carter stop off in the early Florida exhibit, he wasn't happy! In this area of the fair it is a reminder of how our ancestors lived. There is actually an old home in that exhibit that was a distant relative of mine. Last year as we walked through it my mom reminded me of when she was a child and actually played in that same house. Call me sentimental but I love learning about my family, the way they lived, and the things they had to do to get by. The house was one bedroom! Could you imagine?
BLOG
As promised, we made our way to the midway with Carter. He was like a Christmas tree all bright and gleaming. He went through the fun house, rode the merry go round, down the big slide, and then the banana split. As he was waiting for it to take off he looks at me and says, "Momma, we've got to go back to those pony rides!" I asked him why and he said, "there's a pretty girl over there momma!" Oh my stars, I couldn't help but laugh. Four years old and he's already scoping out the ladies!!
BLOG
We grabbed a bite to eat and then Papa & Mimi were ready to head home. They offered to take Tucker home with them so that we could let Carter have all the fun he could handle. We packed little man up, and off he went back to Callahan. Carter was thrilled that he was going to get to stay longer at the fair. I rode a few rides with him, and learned quickly that I'm not as young as I used to be! :)
BLOG
We finished up our evening at the fair, right where we started... the pony ride! Once again, Carter's ride was on the house and it was a long ride! He must have stayed on that pony for a good 15-20 minutes. He absolutely LOVED riding that pony. So much so, that I'm contemplating having his birthday party at Diamond D Stables. He only turns 5 once, right so why not go all out!
BLOG
As I do every year, I looked back over the midway as we left the fair. There stood that big ferris wheel that holds so many memories of mine. We had a wonderful evening with Carter bug, and I look forward to many, many more spring fairs with that sweet boy!

1 comment:

Sebrina said...

this boy looks at home on this pony..I think he needs one!!