Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Rain+boys+mud=MESSY

This could be the start of some trouble, in their minds it's the start of some serious fun!


We've been getting our fair share of summer rain.  Each evening it seems to rain just enough to leave a few puddles.  Puddles are Carter's favorite.  He loves to see how high he can splash, how muddy he can get, and I think he enjoys hearing me say "get out of that mud!"

Thursday evening was no different.  I heard Travis & Carter leaving out on the four-wheeler and never thought anything about it.  About ten minutes later I hear Carter on the back porch with that little laugh of 'I've been up to no good'.  I went to the window only to discover that they both were a little muddy.  Carter had the biggest grin on his face and told me that Daddy hit a big mud hole.  

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, my lens kept fogging up! :0

You know what happened next, I grabbed my camera and gave the official mommy okay to do it again.  Travis took off and Carter let out this little gut laugh that is too cute.  It wasn't long and these two were covered, and I mean covered in mud.  Our poor road is full of pot holes now, but it is all due to some fun so why worry about it, right?  

Carter just kept saying, "Do it again, Do it again!"  Whoever came up with the saying that little boys love dirt, was right in every aspect.  I think Carter could live without taking a bath when he gets all sandy or muddy.  My mom is worried to death he is going to catch some flesh eating bacteria, or ground itch, or some other skin irritation.  Granted, there is that chance but look at the fun he's having.  My good friend Renee always says, "pick your battles" so I'm leaning on the more care free side lately! :)

After a few runs through the puddles Travis goes off through the ditch and then stops.  He gets off and then pulls up a huge turtle.  It was a snapping turtle and I mean it was huge.  Carter's eyes got big and he wanted to know what it was.  Travis advised him to never pick one of these up (Good way to show him not to pick it up, huh?) because they have a very powerful bite.  I had never seen a snapping turtle up close, but now I can say that I have.  Watching these two, it makes me worry about what I may find in my laundry as Carter gets older.  I mean, frogs, snails, lizards, who knows maybe even a turtle.  Maybe I should start wearing gloves while I do the laundry!  


Filthy, muddy is how these two ended up.  I'm beginning to realize that mud, dirt, sand, and flies are a part of my daily routine.  Why not just go ahead embrace it and be done?!  I'll just look at the three times a day I sweep, the sour muddy clothes that I wash, just blessings to remind me that I have a healthy, growing little boy to keep me busy.  One day he'll be grown and gone then what will I do? Oh yeah, sorry forgot, Travis will still be here! ;)  Love you honey! 

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Love it! They looked like they were having a blast!

Kari said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
Yuck on that turtle.. how ugly. I've never seen one up close either ;)

lesli said...

have you seen the turtleman video on youtube? the snapping turtle reminded me! this video's hilarious and very kentucky :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn8EQ0azXpQ