Sunday, January 17, 2010

So long Mickey Mouse Clubhouse

This weekend it became very apparent to me that the days of the cute cartoons are soon to be a thing of the past. I remember thinking three years ago that I would never get, "Mickey Mouse Club house, come inside it's fun inside..." out of my brain.

Then this weekend came and Carter says to me, I don't like those shows anymore. WHAT?!?  You don't like those shows anymore, how on earth could you not? These are great... to my surprise he wanted the big boys shows. I asked him if he wanted to watch Little Einsteins, Little Bear, The Backyardigans, Blue's Clues, or even Charlie & Lola. To each he said, no. He wanted to watch the Hotwheels something another, so I turned it on and he was in hog heaven. He was making all sorts of car noises as I sat on the couch looking at him thinking, 'he can not watch this stuff, he must continue to watch the toddler shows that he's watched for the past three years'. Sitting there watching that show thinking how boyish it was, and how there were no cute songs, or games to play along with... it hit me like a ton of bricks. My little boy will be five this year.

I am almost 100% certain that as August 19, 2010 gets closer I'm going to get more anxious about that date. I don't feel like he should be turning five, I don't feel like I'm old enough to have a five year old, but in all reality... it's true. If only I could invent some sort of time capsule or something to keep him four. I was talking to my friend Kari, who has her on little girl fixing to turn five in just four days, and I asked if she was okay with this birthday. She silently shook her head no and then said that it was much harder to grasp then when D turned one. We both agreed that knowing our little ones would be turning five is much harder to deal with. One was like a completion, a closing of that first chapter. Five is more like the opening of a brand new book and a new adventure. They'll start school, they'll make new friends, they'll start having friends over, they'll go for sleep overs, field trips, the possibilities are endless. I suppose what Kari and I are dealing with is just a case of the momma blues. We've hit one of those milestones that makes us wish for just once we could stop the hands of time and keep our babies, babies.

To my friend Kari, this week I'm sure is an emotional roller coaster for you!!  Here's wishing D a very Happy 5th Birthday, and may you find the courage to face it... LOL!!! :)

1 comment:

Kari said...

sigh.......
ready or not.........
here it comes.........

xoxo