Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Become one

"Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."  Genesis 2:24

When I read this verse it makes me think of an undying love.  A love that you usually don't see much of these days, but if you look at an older couple you'll still see the love I'm talking about. You know, the couple that still holds hands.  He still opens her door, pulls out her chair, or talks so sweetly about.  This morning I dropped Carter off at school, and then headed to the post office.  As I exited the building, I saw this sweet older couple that I always run into at the post office.  They are a very well known couple in our small town.  If you don't know them, you must be new to town.  

I gave my normal smile and wave of hello, and got in the truck.  I sat there a minute reading some of our mail, and I saw Mr. S. walking slowly into the post office.  Mrs. S. sat in the car as she always does watching his every move.  As I watched him move slowly towards the door, I thought how sweet their love is for one another.  She so cautious of his every move, and I'm sure he does her the exact same way.  Always there for one another.  Mr. S. made his way out of the post office before I pulled off.  I sat there wondering how long the two of them have been together.  What have they been through, what would their advice be to a young married couple.  
I thought about what Travis & I will be like when we are their age.  Would I sit by his side everywhere he goes, as Mr. & Mrs. S. do?  Would I be his second shadow?  As I sit in the car and watch his, now, feeble slow walk and think back to the days of when we were younger? Will we grow old together?  Will we drink coffee together on the front porch and talk about how things have changed?  How much more will I love him in thirty years?  Can I possibly love him more?

Seeing this couple around town always blesses my heart.  When I hear one of them is sick, it saddens me.  I wonder what our world would be like if each couple had the love that this sweet couple has.  The dedication, the will, the compassion, the strength.  I can only imagine how much more simple life would probably be, less stressful, and the happiness that families would feel rather then what most are subjected to these days.  

The two shall become one.  

4 comments:

Elizabeth J. said...

Hello, I noticed that you began following my blog and I wanted to stop by your blog to tell you thank you. Your family looks so lovely.=^)

Kara @ His, Hers and Ours said...

Oh, how very true. I often think the same thing about Jeff and I, and our family. My heart already feels like it could burst open from all the love I have for them now...but in 30 years? Amazing!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Nice to see another Florida Gal around! ;) And isn't Callahan close to JAX?

Heather said...

There are several older couples at our church that I simply admire.

I hope and pray that my husband and I will be like that someday. In the craziness that is our life with jobs and three kids, it's hard to imagine that kind of calm serenity...

Thanks for stopping by!

Jessica said...

How beautiful. Something for all of us to strive for.