Monday, September 28, 2009

Where is the ant lion?

I have never in my 29 years of life heard of an ant lion.  I was walking across the yard a couple weeks ago when I see Travis & Carter down on their knees looking in the dirt.  I figured they lost something until I see Carter jump and say, "Ooh, he got him Daddy!"  I could only imagine what that husband of mine had shown our four year old now.  I asked them what on earth they were doing and Carter said, "Momma... looking for the ant lion!"  The WHAT?!  I had to see this for myself.  So sure enough, they find a poor, innocent little ant and put him in this little hole in the dirt.  The ant wanders in circles and then all of a sudden the dirt moves and the ant is gone! Travis' explanation, the ant lion.  Umm, yeah, okay.  Still not believing a word they said, Travis scooped up a hand full of dirt, and showed me the ant lion.  It is a very small little insect, bug, not really sure what category he falls under but he looks nothing like a lion.  I suppose he gets his name for the way he gobbles up the ants, I don't know.


Yesterday while Mimi & Papa were visiting, the ant lion hunt was on!!!  Sure enough, there were several to be found.  Oh, the joys of being a country gal.  Nothing better to do on a Sunday evening then sipping sweet tea (I'll take water, thank you), and feeding the ant lions!  You should try it someday, it's soooooo exciting! :)






Our beautiful sunset yesterday!  I just love our sunsets!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

That's too cute.

And that sunset......wow.....

I have an award for you on my blog.....=) I posted it Saturday.

Heather said...

That sunset is beautiful! I would love to live in the country! Right now we are smack in the middle of suburbia, which has it's advantages as well, but just can't compete with the tranquility of the country...

I think I'll pass on the ant lions, though :)

Deborah Ann said...

I guess I learned something new today...never heard of an ant lion. Love the pictures and humor that went along with the story!