Monday, October 26, 2009

It's in his blood

I sat on the porch swinging with Tucker, then all of a sudden we hear, "BOOM!"  I look up to see Carter running under the gate leading into the pasture.  He was bird hunting with his Daddy.  He kneeled down to pick the bird up, only to find it was still alive.  The bird flew off and my poor baby looked as if he'd seen a ghost!!

I grabbed my camera as I always do and Tucker and I joined in their hunt.  Granted it wasn't a big hunt, just Travis and Carter passing the evening.  Carter had his little pretend rifle and he was mimicking everything Travis would do or say.  Travis couldn't help but smile.  He always wanted a son that enjoyed the same things he does, and he's definitely got it now!!!  I'm sure he'll have Tucker out there as soon as he can walk.  Carter told me that I should go back inside that what they were doing was for guys.  

So, Tucker and I made our way back to the house.  I could hear him giggling, and the excitement in his voice each time the birds would fly over.  Their voices were getting closer, so I walked outside to meet them.  They jumped on the four wheeler, and came by to let me know they were not finished hunting just yet.  In the words of Carter, "we're going to get a rabbit, momma. You go back inside!"  What's a girl to do but go back inside.  It wasn't but just a few minutes and I heard that shot. The four wheeler came flying back into the yard with a little boy grinning from ear to ear.  I just looked at them, and Carter (in his most country voice ever) said, "we got him momma, now we're gonna cook him!"  

I looked at Travis and told him I really need a daughter.  I need someone to gab with, someone to get my hair and nails done with.  I need a daughter to shop with, go out to eat with, someone that will watch out for me and take care of me when I'm eighty years old.  His response... "don't worry babe!  Carter and Tucker will hire you some good help when you're old."  Umm, okay. Yeah, sure they will.  They'll probably throw me in the nearest home and tell the nurses to keep me busy, cause they'll be in the woods hunting.  I know my destiny, no need to fear it.  It is what it is.  I've been praying diligently for a daughter.  It's my only hope of a enjoyable senior life, LOL!

Sure enough, they cleaned their birds and their rabbit and then invaded the kitchen to cook. I'm not complaining.  They fix it, they cook it, they clean it up.  I just sat back and watched.  I would have never dreamed that my four year old would eat rabbit, but he did.  He at ALL of it!  There was a small piece left and Travis put it in the fridge.  Carter came in from school the next day and immediately ate it!!  Go figure.  I can't get him to eat normal food, but let him go out hunting and he'll eat it every time!  While he sat at the table eating, as if he had never eat before, he looked over at me so serious and asked, "you want some of my rabbit leg momma?" My stomach turned, and I reassured him that I was perfectly fine eating my bagel.  He just shook his head and said, "it sure is good!"  He gets this from his father, not me.  It has to be in his blood, it just has too!


I just had to get this shot.  Trav's been getting a lot of stink about his red boots.  I think they're pretty cool! :)

I'm telling you... I'm doomed.  If I don't get some pink in my life, I might as well throw in the towel and join them.  I really don't want to do that.  I'm more a shopping kind of gal!  I suppose I shall just continue to hope and pray.


No comments: