Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Purpose for life

I wrote a blog several months ago about your purpose in life.  Each of us is put on this earth with a purpose.  Many people spend their days not knowing what that true purpose really is, others of us know but choose not to follow, then there are those of us who are just so unsure.  I often think God is still teaching me what my true purpose in this life is.  I know He sent me here to be a mother.  He sent me here with the ability to show compassion, and to be supportive.  For a long time I never saw those as gifts from God and then one day it hit me that I am usually able to be a support to most people.  Am I being braggy?!  Heaven no.  I have just come to the conclusion that those are just traits that God blessed me with.  He gave them to me, I must use them.  

Our dear Papa had a very trying night last night.  Today has also been difficult.  The family has gathered, prayers are being said, tears are being shed.  As I stood there tonight over that hospital bed I looked at him with a breaking in my heart, but a joy in my soul.  How can a person have two totally opposite feelings?  The peace of Jesus Christ, plain and simple.  I stood there reflecting on what I know of him from the past twelve years.  I've never heard a harsh word come from his mouth.  He always shares a smile, a hug, a chuckle, and true southern hospitality.  Weak, and weary his body, but his heart so ready to be in the arms of his saviour! Holding back tears to the best of my ability, I leaned down and hugged him.  I told him how very much I love and appreciate him.  I told him that I am grateful that he was a true man of God.  I told him that the boys love him dearly.  My voice was beginning to crack, he hugged me as tightly as his frail body could.  He squeezed me and said, "I love those babies, I sure do!"  So sad to know that he will not be here with us on earth for my children to love and hug on, but I know God is waiting.  

That purpose in life, Papa has lived his purpose.  He has lived a life pleasing to God.  I sit here tonight examining my own heart and life.  God is making it so clear to me that there are many areas that I need to work on.  I need to fully surrender my every thought, my every breath for His work.  I want to know without a shadow of a doubt that when He calls me home, I can say I've lived my life pleasing to God.  I want to know that I have fulfilled my purpose that God sent me for.  

I don't know who will read this blog.  I don't know if you have the same spiritual beliefs as I do, but if you are reading it I don't believe it is by chance.  I ask that each of us examine our lives. If you do not know Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour, will you come to know Him today? He died for our sins, can't we live our life for him?  He provides a peace like non other.  The bible says, "For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16"  What a promise.  We have to believe in Him, and He will give us everlasting life.  I was telling Travis on the way home tonight that I have always known there was a Heaven.  I know that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, but it hasn't really sank in until just recently.  I've thought about what Heaven must look like, but this past Sunday sitting in church the preacher asked us to close our eyes.  As I did, I pictured Papa in Heaven.  I pictured him with the biggest smile on his face and being his normal cheerful self.  Not hurting anymore, just glad to be home where he's waited so long to be.  Makes me smile now just thinking about it.  

While I type this some of my favorite songs are playing.  Here are the lyrics, 

You are my King-Chris Tomlin
I'm forgiven because you were forsaken
I'm accepted, You were condemned
I'm alive and well
Your spirit is within me
Because you died and rose again

I'm forgiven because you were forsaken
I'm accepted, you were condemned
I'm alive and well
Your spirit is within me
Because you died and rose again

Amazing love, how can it be?
That you, my king. would die for me
Amazing love, I know it's true
Its my joy to honor you
Amazing love how can it be?
That my king would die for me
Amazing love I know it's true
Its my joy to honor you
In all I do
I honor you
Such true words...I am forgiven, because He was forsaken.  How can a love like that be?

Open the eyes of my heart Lord-Michael W. Smith
Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You
I want to see You

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You
I want to see You

To see You high and lifted up
Shinin' in the light of Your glory
Pour out Your power and love
As we sing holy, holy, holy

It is my prayer that each and every day that I open my eyes that God will open the eyes of my heart.  May He allow me to love like He loves.  May each of my actions be actions of Him.  I want to lift Him up, even in the trying days like the ones we are facing now.  

I ask that you continue to pray for our Papa and our family.  I thank each and every person that reads my blog for the prayers that are being said.  It is a comfort to read your comments here and on facebook.  I will probably never be able to thank each of you in person, but please know that they are greatly appreciated.  May God bless each of you and your families!


4 comments:

Heather said...

Jennifer, what a beautiful post. I am so sorry for the pain your family is going through, facing the loss of such a great man. It does help to know that he will be in Heaven, but it still sucks to be left behind. I think we forget that it's okay to grieve our loss, even while we celebrate their journey.

Prayers and thoughts are with you and yours.

Lindsey said...

Jen~ this brings tears to my eyes..I can just feel the love that you have for your Papa. Know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers...Im here if you need anything.

XO

Jessica said...

This is a beautiful post, for sure. I'm saying a special prayer for your family today, and thanking God that He is right there with you in this time. Thank you for your boldness and your honesty.

Manatha Young said...

Powerfully written and true. Blesings...